We have 2 courses designed to lead you through to your PfCO (Permission for Commercial Operation) that start with 2 days of ground school. All our courses are taught by current commercial drone pilots who are at the top of the industry, flying heavy and super-heavy lift drones. We’ve even designed a FREE E-Learning course for hobbyists, why not check it out and see what we’re all about, whilst learning the rules and regulations for non-commercial drone pilots?
1 - Book your course
- Choose a venue and select a course date that works for you.
- Alternatively, use our course calendar to search by date.
- Get access to our ICARUS Resource Library and start pre-learning at your own pace with hours of E-Learning videos and downloadable resources.
2 - Attend Theory Course
- Arrive for 9am on your booked date to sit your 2-day theory course with an ICARUS Instructor.
- Lunch and refreshments are provided on both days.
- At the end of the second day, you sit an invigilated 50 question multiple choice examination.
- The Pass Mark for the examination is 80%.
3 - Book your Practical Assessment
- Book your practical assessment with your examiner for a mutually convenient date and time.
- Practice the required manoeuvres and plan for a Mock Commercial Task.
- Re-visit the ICARUS Resource Library for helpful videos and planning guides.
- The practical examination takes up-to 2 hours.
4 - Write your Operations Manual
- if you've not already started, you should now begin to write your Operations Manual using our template provided for you on the ICARUS Resource Library.
- If you are an ICARUS Pro student, this is now the time to contact our partnered consultants at Open Sky Consultancy so they can start your Operations Manual.
- This can take up to 10 days to arrive.
5 - Submit your Operations Manual
- Send your Operations Manual as a PDF format only to our submissions department, who will read your manual to ensure that it is ready to be submitted to the CAA.
- Once your Operations Manual is approved, we sent you your NQE Recommendation Certificate that is required to send to the CAA during your application for PfCO.
6 - Apply for your PfCO from the CAA
- Watch out helpful CAA PfCO Application video and apply for your PfCO using their online application form.
- Pay £247 for your application to the CAA
- Recieve your PfCO from the CAA within 28 working days.
- Fly commercially!
The ICARUS drone training courses have been developed by Aviators who have not only flown in the unmanned ‘drone’ sector but who have taught people to fly manned aircraft all over the world at the very highest levels. Particularly with recent events in mind, this deep understanding of how both can work safely together is an important message to pass on, and we take great pride in the fact that our ICARUS Students are so well prepared that many go on to operate within controlled airspace, in and around very busy Airports within weeks of gaining their PfCO; safely, legally and confidently.
Ex-RAF Helicopter Instructor Matt Williams designed the ICARUS drone course in 2015 and has flown full-sized Helicopters and Drones all over the world for the Military, Film and TV. The ICARUS team is supported by a multitude of Flight Instructors and Examiners who regularly fly on Film and TV sets as well as being experts in the field of Industrial Inspections.